Fayetteville at 250
In 1762, the Colonial assembly chartered a riverside settlement called Campbellton. Another community, called Upper Campbellton, formed in present-day downtown Fayetteville.
In 1783, the state legislature consolidated both communities and renamed the town Fayetteville, after the French hero of the American Revolution, Marquis de Lafayette.
Huske Hardware House
Benjamin R. Huske founded the business in 1889 and built his first location on Franklin Street. The current location on Hay Street was constructed in 1903. It was operated as a family-run store until 1970. It now houses a microbrewery and restaurant.
The Market House
Fayetteville built a two-story meeting and market house on the ruins of the State House. The Market House, completed in 1832, became the center of commerce and celebration. It was a town market until 1906. It served as Fayetteville Town Hall until 1907, when city officials sought to tear it down to build a post office. The Women's Civic Improvement Society spearheaded an effort to save the building. City leaders agreed not to demolish the building if the women could find another use, so the women converted the building into a library. It was a library from 1908 to 1952, and later served as offices for the Fayetteville Museum of Art and the Chamber of Commerce.
In 1913, Highsmith Hospital purchased an ambulance that was formerly owned by T.W. Rankin as part of his livery outfit. The hospital was on Green Street near the Market House and covered the entire block from Hay Street to Old Street. In 1926, the hospital would move to a new building in Haymount.
Updated: August 2012